Sunday, 30 September 2007

Power


If knowledge is power does that make me weak? I've entered the occasional pub quiz in the past and my knowledge has been a bit varied and a little bizarre. For example i knew that Texas Pete was a baddie in super Ted?! So i think that my general knowledge is perhaps - average (according to the new Gordon's Gin advert the most offensive word in the English language). Does that make me average? I know a bit about lots of things but not really lots about anything. I'd love to be the all knowing one on one subject. The person that someone could be heard saying - "oh yes, you definitely what to talk to them about this subject they know everything about that". At the moment i think the only subject that I'm possibly the all knowing, omniscient, wise one on is the film When Harry Meet Sally and that's not a useful subject to be a Guru on.
If i was all knowing on one subject that one million people wanted my humble advice on and i charged each of those people a mere £1 for my extensive knowledge on that subject then i would have this 'make 1 million' thing wrapped up pretty quickly. I'll work on it.

gu·ru
n. pl. gu·rus
1. Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism A personal spiritual teacher.
2. a. A teacher and guide in spiritual and philosophical matters.
b. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.
3. a. A recognized leader in a field: the guru of high finance.
b. An acknowledged and influential advocate, as of a movement or idea: "In a culture that worships slimness, he was the Guru of Lean" Erica Abeel.

6 comments:

Kris said...

Texas Pete! I had forgotten that was his name!!! Well, there you go. I probably know something on another subject that you don't, hee-hee!

Texas Pete and Super-Ted both rock.

gautami tripathy said...

We can be our own true gurus. No oneelse. I do not believe in having mentors.

Crafty Green Poet said...

We're probably all gurus in some totally trivial area of knowledge. These days its much more difficult to be totally knowledgeable about any significant area of knowledge, because new things are discovered so quickly.

GreenishLady said...

My 4th class teacher used to say "An educated person knows something about everything, and everything about something". I'm still looking for my something. If you've taken "When Harry met Sally" maybe I'll stick with "Forrest Gump"!

tumblewords said...

I, too, am looking for my 'everything about something' power. :) Just when I think I've GOT IT, it slips away. Nice post!

Redness said...

Love your post! A Gordons Gin advert ... Mmmm that brings back memories and with enough Gordons getting a quid off a million ... easy ;~)